Castle Cats Wiki
Advertisement

Each Castle Cats hero has a trait that confers a special ability or bonus that is applied to the parameters of a quest or during or upon completion of a quest. The trait is unlocked when the hero is evolved to Rank 3. The description of a cat's trait is shown in the lower right of that cat's page in the Hero Book. In the Fortress and on quest configuration screens, tapping a trait icon will also display its description. Currently there are 7 Common traits, 11 Rare traits, 16 Mythic traits, and 8 unique Legendary traits.

Great Success Chance Boosters[]

These traits increase a quest's Great Success Chance, although not beyond the 95% maximum. The criteria stated in the trait's description must be met when configuring a quest in order for the trait to take effect.

Trait Icon Description Rarity # Cats
Lone Tiger Lone Tiger icon.PNG +10% Great Success Chance when alone. Common 3 Benedict, Catniss, Hood
Good Friend Good Friend icon.PNG +10% Great Success Chance on Quests with more than one Hero. Common 5 Edna, Francis, Leonard, Mawizinea, Stitch
Enduring Enduring icon.PNG +15% Great Success Chance if Quest Duration is longer than 30m. Common 5 Curio, Curio (Festival), Dory, Kyle, Mewton
Dynamic Duo Dynamic Duo icon.PNG +20% Great Success Chance when another Cat also has this trait. Common 4 Dango, Juliet, Mochi, Romeo

XP Reward Boosters[]

These traits increase the amount of XP awarded for completing a quest by a percentage of the quest's base XP reward. Some of them have criteria that must be met when configuring a quest in order for the trait to take effect. The Demonic Possession trait offers the highest percentage increase, but is unusual in that it imposes a 75% Great Success Chance on the quest.

Trait Icon Description Rarity # Cats
Quick Learner Quick Learner icon.PNG +10% XP reward when alone. Common 2 Edward, Purrcilla
Guild Banner Guild Banner icon.PNG +10% XP reward on Quests with more than one Hero. Common 3 Conan, Snooze, Yangnyan
Holy Aura Holy Aura icon.PNG +20% XP reward on all Quests. Rare 10 Angel, Angel (Festival), Florinda, Ginger, Knightniss, Minty Heart, Nobu, Peter, Rainbow, Sandra
Demonic Possession Demonic Possession icon.PNG +25% XP reward, but locks Great Success Chance to 75%. Rare 4 Anna, Kai, Kittysticks, Purrcis

Note: Knightniss has a Rare trait despite being a Common hero.

Gold Reward Bonuses[]

These traits increase the amount of gold awarded for completing a quest by a percentage of the quest's base gold reward, except for the Gambler trait, which randomly increases or decreases the reward.

Trait Icon Description Rarity # Cats
Lucky Lucky icon.PNG +10% Gold reward on all Quests. Common 5 Bob, Bob (Festival), Courage, Frieda, Robin
Mercenary Mercenary icon.PNG +15% Gold reward on all Quests. Rare 9 Beans, Bill, Dovah, Francine, Franklyn, Julio, Samūm, Soarin, Tom Snow
Scavenger Scavenger icon.png +20% Gold reward on all Quests. Mythic 16 Cocoa, Cole, Finnegan, Hop, Jack, Loka, Maccha, Miss Jura, Oreo, Oskar, Renée, Saber, Smush, Tufu, Vaati, Vasco
Gambler Gambler icon.png +30% OR -30% Gold reward on all Quests. Mythic 12 Agatha, Aspen, Christian, Cookie, Ferdinand, Fort, Harvey, Kate, Mequa, Pan, Rich, Starsky

Note: Francine has a Rare trait despite being a Common hero.

Bonus Rare Materials (Chance)[]

The first three traits in this group offer a 5% chance of receiving a Rare Materials item as a bonus quest reward. The Fairy Familliars [sic] trait, unique to the Alchemy cat Eira, offers a 15% chance of receiving a rare material as a bonus reward for each of the three rare materials; it is therefore possible to get more than one kind of rare item when Eira completes a quest.

Trait Icon Description Rarity # Cats
Gold Digger Gold Digger icon.PNG 5% chance to get a Gold Nugget from Quests. Rare 7 Alice (the Dame), Cat Patrick, Chief, Eve, Flailtail, Molotov, Raven
Wood Chopper Wood Chopper icon.png 5% chance to get an Oldwood from Quests. Rare 7 Alfa, Copper, Dexter, Frosty, Tea-Rex, Thor, Wriggley
Thread Spinner Thread Spinner icon.PNG 5% chance to get a Silk from Quests. Rare 7 Barry, Bubbles, Coco, Cupcake, Emma, Marigold, Phantom
Fairy Familliars[sic] Fairy Familiars Icon.png 15% chance to get a Gold Nugget, Oldwood & Silk from Quests. Legendary 1 Eira

Bonus Embers (Chance)[]

The first six traits in this group offer a 5% chance of receiving an Ember as a bonus quest reward. The Flamebringer trait, unique to the Alchemy cat Chroma, offers a 15% chance of receiving a random Rare Ember as a bonus quest reward.

Trait Icon Description Rarity # Cats
Spark Spark icon.png 5% chance to get a Red Ember from Quests. Rare 5 Bella, Gatsby, Gordon, Maximus, Pink
Vigor Vigor icon.png 5% chance to get a Green Ember from Quests. Rare 7 Darla, Feoh, Hen, Hoshi, Lotus, Meowstein, Snappy
Glow Glow icon.png 5% chance to get a Blue Ember from Quests. Rare 7 Lois, Mego, Newt, Patricia, Pipsqueak, Snowball, Stormcloud
Fiery Fiery icon.png 5% chance to get a Red Rare Ember from Quests. Mythic 14 Amortina, Anton, Halley, Holland, Jörgen, Keiko, Lisa, Logan, Lou, Lucy, Nyadra, Pumpy, Sunset, Titania
Radiant Radiant icon.png 5% chance to get a Green Rare Ember from Quests. Mythic 13 Alfie, Angdra, Atchoum, Cassandra, Florence, Lewis, Marie, Megara, Oakenpaw, Pappa, Ratchet, Sibuna, Shirley
Luminous Luminous icon.png 5% chance to get a Blue Rare Ember from Quests. Mythic 14 Avalanche, Azure, Bloom, Boreal, Boulder, Coffee, Cosette, Dorothy, Jackson, Leesi, Lune, Olivia, Selene, Venus
Flamebringer Flamebringer icon.png 20% chance to get a random Rare Ember from Quests. Legendary 1 Chroma

Bonus Gems[]

Heroes with these traits are essential contributors to a player's Gem earnings. Nicole's unique Duplicator trait only duplicates gems from standard quest rewards, and not from Keen Eyes or Diamond Lens bonuses. Moreover, it actually only awards one extra gem per quest reward, whether that reward consists of a single gem or a block of them.

Trait Icon Description Rarity # Cats
Keen Eyes Keen Eyes icon.PNG 5% chance to get a Gem from Quests. Mythic 19 Alice (Charity), Charmer, Cleo, Glaucous, Holly, Iko.N, June, Matilda, Nala, Nessie, Nolan, Opal, Pancake, Rose, Sabrina, Sandy Claws, Strix, Tomo, Xiao Hui
Duplicator Duplicator icon.png Gives an extra gem when Quest has a Gem Reward. Legendary 1 Nicole

Quest Duration Reduction[]

These traits reduce the time it takes to complete a quest by a percentage of the quest's default duration. Some of them have criteria that must be met when configuring a quest in order for the trait to take effect. The Rusher trait is particularly unusual in that the reduction varies inversely with the quest's Great Success Chance, from as little as 5% for a quest with a 95% Great Success Chance, to a maximum of 50% for a quest with a 75% Great Success Chance.

Trait Icon Description Rarity # Cats
Attack Plan Attack Plan Icon.png -10% Quest Duration on all Quests. Rare 8 Amelia, Athea, Cleia, Kenshin, Scarlet, Stark, Tyrus, Yarngirl
Captain Captain icon.png -20% Quest Duration on all quests with more than one Hero[sic] Rare 7 Blink, Cluck Norris, Dash, Grubb, Paytone, Rudolph, White Widow
Fortune Teller Fortune Teller icon.PNG -25% Quest Duration if it is longer than 1h. Mythic 20 Calli, Chi, Cyrille, Devon, Echo, Eych Tu-o, Fortuna, Hiro, Hosico, Khoshek, Kotinka, Lumi, Luna Sparkle, Magic Mia, Molly, Murrlin, Peanut, Santa Paws, Skully, Star
Taskmaster Taskmaster icon.PNG -25% Quest Duration if Great Success Chance is 95%. Mythic 14 Amie, Angela, Azel, Berry, Eric (Celebrity), Harbour, Henry, Jason, Jin Shu, Lucious, Nils, Red Robin, Surana, Tekah
Rusher Rusher icon.PNG Reduces Quest Duration at lower Great Success Chance, maximum of -50% at 75% or lower. Mythic 12 Abby, Akari, Ash, Atlas, Lagoon, Lucas, Lumoz, Navi, Ryder, Shaun, Sofie, Wetbeard

Note: Cleia has a Rare trait despite being a Common hero.

Battle Enhancements[]

These traits take effect during battles; there is nothing to be gained by sending cats with these traits on quests left to idle unopened. The Fighter trait "doubles the damage of regular hits (the cat scratches)" inflicted by heroes with the trait, according to a developaw, while the damage dealt by "their Attack Skill is increased by 30%".[1] The Fighter, Warlord and War Hero traits shorten open battles whether or not the player is actively engaged in the battle. The Recharger trait can also shorten battles but only if the player is activating the Attack Skill as it recharges.

Trait Icon Description Rarity # Cats
Booster Booster Icon.png Increases Battle Energy with each regular attack. Mythic 8 Abuela, Beancake, Cherry, DJ Retr-0, EK-0, Huan, Mortimer, Niaur
Fighter Fighter icon.png Significantly increases Damage during Battles. Mythic 15 Baz, Callum, Dandelion, Gale, Gruna Barkle, Howard, Justicecat, Klaus, Levana, Marmalade, Minerva, Monty, Redmane, Tigerbat, Zafrina
Recharger Recharger icon.PNG +50% increase to Attack Skill charge during Battles. Mythic 15 Ace, Bunny, Clarkii, Juan, Metal Claw, Morrigan, Nicholas, Oakenbeard, Ollie, Rocket, Saito, Sundae, Veronica, Wendy, Yasper
Warlord Warlord icon.png Does not fight in battle, but has a small chance of making other heroes use their Attack Skill. Mythic 12 Adelaide, Aery, Basil, Charlie, Eric, Hilda, Komachi, Pax, Steve, Svea, Tefiti, Wadjet
War Hero War Hero Icon.png Significantly increases Damage & Attack Skill charge and has a chance of inspiring other heroes to use their Attack Skills during Battles. Legendary 1 Thena

Bonus Loot[]

The following traits, like those immediately above, only apply when quests are opened for battle. Bonus loot (not to be confused with bonus rewards, trait and boost bonuses awarded at the end of quests) comes from enemy drops, which for standard quests occur at the end of each round. Bonus loot primarily consists of common resources: gold coins and the Basic Materials metal, cloth, and wood. But each drop has a small probability of being a rare item instead: a Gold Nugget, Oldwood, Silk or Gem. The Ninja Looter trait increases that small chance by a small amount—the percentages have never been disclosed—and applies to all drops throughout a battle regardless of which hero on the quest does the damage that causes the drop. Multiple Ninja Looters on a quest mean multiple increases to the base probability. Chloe's Pugomancer trait doubles all bonus loot: coins, common materials, rare items and embers.

Trait Icon Description Rarity # Cats
Ninja Looter Ninja Looter icon.png Increases the chance to get Rare Loot during Battles. Mythic 16 Adriel, Alicia, Capri, Crabina, Demaires, Dio, Fafnir, Flower, Jadis, Mira, Mrs Paws, Night Queen, Pete, Shen, Silver, Sprinkles
Ember Catcher Ember Catcher Icon.png Enables a chance to get a random Common Ember during Battle. Mythic 5 Aisling, Kian, Krystal, Stillsphere, Yule
Flame Catcher Flame Catcher Icon.png Enables a chance to get a random Rare Ember during Battle. Mythic 4 Heen, Iridessa, Nora, Xerxes
Pugomancer Pugomancer icon.png +100% Bonus Loot from Battles. Legendary 1 Chloe

Unique Legendary Traits[]

These three Legendary cats have unique traits that don't fit into any category. Jade's Zen Replication trait is especially interesting as she adopts the trait(s) of the other non-Legendary cat(s) with whom she is sent on a quest. In other words, the trait(s) of the other cat(s) will be applied to the quest twice.

Trait Icon Description Rarity # Cats
Divine Being Divine Being icon.png 15% chance to give 100% extra Event Materials when Quest has an Event Material reward. Legendary 1 Celestia
Smuggler Smuggler Icon.png -50% Material Cost on all Quests. Legendary 1 Sting
Zen Replication Zen Replication Icon.png Activates the effect of any non-legendary Trait from other heroes when going on Quests together. Legendary 1 Jade

Trait Combinations[]

  • Multiple gold rewards are compounded. When the game applies multiple gold-reward traits at the end of a quest, it calculates each individually and sequentially, so that the base reward plus the first bonus reward becomes the base for calculating the next bonus. For example, when a Mercenary (+15%) and a Scavenger (+20%) are sent together on a quest, the bonus gold reward will be closer to 38%, rather than 35%, of the base gold reward.
  • Multiple XP rewards are compounded. Similar to how gold bonuses are determined, XP traits, except Demonic Posession, are also applied sequentially upon completion of quests with more than one XP-boosting hero. So, for instance, when three Holy Aura (+20%) cats are sent on a quest together, the XP bonus will be not 60% but closer to 72% of the base XP reward.
  • Multiple identical materials reward chances are applied individually. When the game applies traits offering a 5% random chance for a materials item, it does not combine multiple chances for the same item into a single, higher chance when multiple heroes with the same trait are on the same quest. Each chance is rolled individually. While this makes little difference to the overall odds of that item being awarded, it does provide for the possibility of multiple identical items being awarded if more than one of the chances succeed.
  • Demonic Possession and Rusher cats combine to quicken hero leveling. The Demonic Possession trait increases the amount of XP awarded by 25% but sets a quest's Great Success Chance to 75%, while the Rusher trait cuts the time-to-completion of such quests in half. This combo is useful when sending low-level heroes on high-level quests, which might otherwise drop the chance of success below 75% , in order to level them up quickly.
  • Warlords and Ninja Looters combine to generate more rare bonus loot on Battle Quests. On most quests, enemies drop bonus loot only at the end of each round. In Battle Quests, however, enemies drop bonus loot whenever a Warlord commands other heroes to use their Attack Skills. So combining a Warlord and a Ninja Looter on a Battle Quest means both more drops and a higher percentage chance of rare items in the drops. Adding a second Ninja Looter or Chloe to the mix increases the potential yield of rare loot even further.

Trivia[]

  • After its beta phase, during which the developaws refined the assignment of traits to various cats, the first major revision to the game's traits came in September 2018 with the addition of the Captain, Gambler and Warlord traits, assigned initially to three heroes introduced in that year's Halloween Event, White Widow, Harvey and Hilda respectively. Other traits, including Dynamic Duo, Enduring, Holy Aura, Rusher, Scavenger and Speed Runner, received minor adjustments as well.
  • In October 2019, the Mythic trait Speed Runner, described as "+50% XP Reward when alone and Hero Level is higher or same as Quest Level" and with a lightning bolt for an icon, became the first, and so far only, trait in the game to be discontinued. It was removed, said a developaw, because it had "a really high diminishing return to it."[2] The then-Rare Rusher trait was upgraded to Mythic status (from -20% to -50% reductions in quest duration) and assigned to the four heroes who lost the Speed Runner trait: Lagoon, Lumoz, Navi and Wetbeard. The Rare cats who were previously Rushers—Blink, Cluck Norris, Dash, Grubb, Paytone and Rudolph—were given the Captain trait instead.
  • Peanut was introduced in the Purrismas Event 2018 as the first merge Alchemy cat; she was only a Rare yet required the sacrifice of six other heroes, and players made their dissatisfaction with that known to the developaws. When Peanut returned for the Purrismas Event 2019 she had been elevated to Mythic status and her Captain trait replaced with Fortune Teller.
  • When introduced, the three Reputation cats were Mythics with standard Mythic traits: Sting was a Gambler, Jade was a Warlord, and Thena was a Fighter. As the difficulty involved in recruiting these cats warranted greater rewards once obtained, the three were upgraded to Legendary status and got their current unique traits in December, 2019.[3]
  • The Flame Catcher trait was introduced in October, 2020, with the Halloween cat Xerxes. Prior to that time, embers were not included in battle loot drops, although a long-standing, infrequently occurring visual glitch had made it seem so.
  • The Ember Catcher and Booster traits were introduced in late November, 2020, with the new Purrismas event heroes. The icon for the Booster trait is an upgraded version of the one formerly used for the now obsolete Speed Runner trait.

References[]

  1. https://discord.com/channels/401029535744655361/401029535744655364/430727892406763520 Discord post by Castle Cats developaw Robin, April 3, 2018.
  2. https://discord.com/channels/401029535744655361/401029535744655364/640137607614955540 Discord post by Castle Cats developaw Henrik, November 2, 2019.
  3. https://www.facebook.com/castlecatsgame/photos/a.1091007500921428/2752652964756865/ Castle Cats Facebook post about game update, December 17, 2019.
Settings Icon.png Mechanics

Heroes: Hero BookAlchemy CatsCelebrity HeroesTimewalkers
Customizations: Avatar CustomizationHero OutfitsPlushies
Quests: QuestsMain Story QuestRegular QuestsBattle QuestsReputation QuestsAttack Skills
Activities: AlchemyChallengesDaily EventsDaily RewardsEventsMini-gamesMissions
Upgrades & Acquisitions: GuildFortressShopExclusive ShopStory BookVIP
Utility: MarketMaterialsSkillsTraitsTutorial
Media: CommunityMerchandiseNewsOriginal Soundtrack

Advertisement